DevOps is a mentality / culture and not a set of tools yadda yadda yadda - but if you want to get into DevOps you need to know the tools too! Open source tools are free but the SaaS / hosted ones cost money, right? Nope! Here’s a little list of things you can use to get started.
- AWS Free Tier - Get a free micro size instance for 12 months. Includes access to most AWS tools and services, just watch your limits!
- CentOS - A clone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) with the Red Hat logos removed
- VirtualBox - Super simple virtualization / hypervisor, great for Windows and OS X / Mac users
- Python - Tons of free tutorials and courses on the web, Google around to find more
- Ruby - Tons of free tutorials and courses on the web, Google around to find more
- Hosted Chef - Learn Chef using Hosted Chef, up to 5 nodes for free.
- GitHub - Free, online, public Git repos
- Travis CI - Hosted continuous integration (CI), 100 builds for free
- PagerDuty - Free for 14 days
- Loggly - 200 megs of storage and 7 days of retention for free
- New Relic - Free New Relic Pro and New Relic Lite trials
That should keep you busy for a while. Need to learn a new on-premise tool? Spin up some VMs with VirtualBox + CentOS and go nuts. Need to learn a new SaaS / hosted product? They probably have a free trial or free tier.